Quantcast

Another XMLSlurper question

CosmicRider
I have failed in my attempts to get the text "product foo provides a low cost solution for a broad range of  applications." from the following XML snippet:

<app.descriptions readable.name="Application descriptions">
  <description arg1="val1" arg2="val2" arg3="val3" field="Application Description">product foo provides a low cost solution for a broad range of  applications. </description>
</app.descriptions>

any help would be greatly appreciated!

RE: Another XMLSlurper question

Bob Brown
This worked for me in 2.0.0.0-beta-2 GroovyConsole:

---
def xml = """
<app.descriptions readable.name="Application descriptions">
  <description arg1="val1" arg2="val2" arg3="val3" field="Application Description">product foo provides a low cost solution for a broad range of applications. </description>
</app.descriptions>
"""

def appDescriptions = new XmlSlurper().parseText(xml)

println appDescriptions.description
println appDescriptions.description.@field
println appDescriptions.@'readable.name'
---

Gives:

---
product foo provides a low cost solution for a broad range of applications.
Application Description
Application descriptions
---

It should work in earlier versions as well...

HTH

BOB

Dinko Srkoč
new XmlSlurper().parseText(xmlString).description.text()

The example from XmlSlurper documentation covers your use case:
http://groovy.codehaus.org/api/groovy/util/XmlSlurper.html

Cheers,
Dinko

Bob, thanks for the quick reply. I am surprised by the actual solution, which means there is a gap in my understanding. Could you please explain why appDescriptions.description generates the correct result? My initial thought was that "product foo provides..." was a value off of the field attribute

RE: Another XMLSlurper question

Bob Brown
Not really, "product foo provides..." is the CONTENT of the <description>
Element. The value of the field attribute is " Application Description" (no
quotes).

And, as Dinko pointed out, I probably SHOULD have use .text():

println appDescriptions.description.text()
println [hidden email]()
println appDescriptions.@'readable.name'.text()

BOB