[ANNOUNCE] Apache Groovy 3.0.0-beta-2 Released

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Groovy 3.0.0-beta-2 Released

Daniel.Sun
Dear community,

The Apache Groovy team is pleased to announce version 3.0.0-beta-2 of Apache Groovy.
Apache Groovy is a multi-faceted programming language for the JVM.
Further details can be found at the https://groovy.apache.org website.

This is a pre-release of a new version of Groovy.
We greatly appreciate any feedback you can give us when using this version.

This release includes 40 bug fixes/improvements as outlined in the changelog:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12318123&version=12345498

Sources, convenience binaries, downloadable documentation and an SDK
bundle can be found at: https://groovy.apache.org/download.html
We recommend you verify your installation using the information on that page.

Jars are also available within the major binary repositories.

We welcome your help and feedback and in particular want
to thank everyone who contributed to this release.

For more information on how to report problems, and to get involved,
visit the project website at https://groovy.apache.org/

Note: Apache Groovy 3.0.0-beta-2 was compiled with JDK8, so the illegal access warnings will come back if you use JDK9+. But don't worry, we will do another release in a week or two. Please verify the issues you reported first and give us feedback, which will help us improve the quality of next release.

Best regards,

The Apache Groovy team.
Apache Groovy committer & PMC member

Blog: http://blog.sunlan.me
Twitter: @daniel_sun

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Groovy 3.0.0-beta-2 Released

Daniel.Sun
> Note: Apache Groovy 3.0.0-beta-2 was compiled with JDK8, so the illegal
access warnings will come back if you use JDK9+.

If you want to try Groovy 3.0.0-beta-2 with JDK9+ and do not want to see the
illegal access warnings, you can download the source code and build by
yourself:

1) Download the source code from the page:
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/groovy/3.0.0-beta-2/sources/apache-groovy-src-3.0.0-beta-2.zip
2) Unzip the zip file "apache-groovy-src-3.0.0-beta-2.zip"
3) Run `gradle installGroovy` (Require gradle 5.5 and JDK9+ to build)
4) Get the distribution from the generated directory "install"

-----
Apache Groovy committer & PMC member
Blog: http://blog.sunlan.me
Twitter: @daniel_sun

Apache Groovy committer & PMC member

Blog: http://blog.sunlan.me
Twitter: @daniel_sun

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Groovy 3.0.0-beta-2 Released

Remko Popma

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 1:22 AM Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Congrats on this release!

The Apache Groovy team.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Groovy 3.0.0-beta-2 Released

Remko Popma
The permalink is auto-generated by the wonderful (not) Apache Roller blogging software.

I agree it's very annoying.
I recommend using a URL shortener link like http://tiny.cc/akhr9y when publishing on social media.

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 7:55 PM Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mirco
I've tested (with Java 11) the latest beta-2 version of groovy 3 but unfortunately the problem I reported some weeks ago on the users mailing list is still in place (up until alpha-4 everything works correctly).
The compiler complains when inside a closure one try to access a public field without a getter.
For convenience I copy the same simple script to reproduce the problem:

"""
import groovy.transform.CompileStatic
@CompileStatic
class Foo { public float field1 = 1; }
@CompileStatic
class Main {
    static public void main(String... args) {
    var cl = {
            Foo foo = new Foo()
            assert foo.field1 == 1
Main.main()
"""

The error logged is cryptic:
/path/to/test.groovy: -1: Access to Foo#foo is forbidden @ line -1, column
-1.

Kind regards,

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 5:39 PM Daniel.Sun <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Note: Apache Groovy 3.0.0-beta-2 was compiled with JDK8, so the illegal
access warnings will come back if you use JDK9+.

If you want to try Groovy 3.0.0-beta-2 with JDK9+ and do not want to see the
illegal access warnings, you can download the source code and build by
yourself:

1) Download the source code from the page:
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/groovy/3.0.0-beta-2/sources/apache-groovy-src-3.0.0-beta-2.zip
2) Unzip the zip file "apache-groovy-src-3.0.0-beta-2.zip"
3) Run `gradle installGroovy` (Require gradle 5.5 and JDK9+ to build)
4) Get the distribution from the generated directory "install"

-----
Apache Groovy committer & PMC member
Blog: http://blog.sunlan.me
Twitter: @daniel_sun

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Groovy 3.0.0-beta-2 Released

paulk_asert
Hi Mirco, was there an issue associated with that?

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 6:13 AM Mirco <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
I've tested (with Java 11) the latest beta-2 version of groovy 3 but unfortunately the problem I reported some weeks ago on the users mailing list is still in place (up until alpha-4 everything works correctly).
The compiler complains when inside a closure one try to access a public field without a getter.
For convenience I copy the same simple script to reproduce the problem:

"""
import groovy.transform.CompileStatic
@CompileStatic
class Foo { public float field1 = 1; }
@CompileStatic
class Main {
    static public void main(String... args) {
    var cl = {
            Foo foo = new Foo()
            assert foo.field1 == 1
Main.main()
"""

The error logged is cryptic:
/path/to/test.groovy: -1: Access to Foo#foo is forbidden @ line -1, column
-1.

Kind regards,

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 5:39 PM Daniel.Sun <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Note: Apache Groovy 3.0.0-beta-2 was compiled with JDK8, so the illegal
access warnings will come back if you use JDK9+.

If you want to try Groovy 3.0.0-beta-2 with JDK9+ and do not want to see the
illegal access warnings, you can download the source code and build by
yourself:

1) Download the source code from the page:
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/groovy/3.0.0-beta-2/sources/apache-groovy-src-3.0.0-beta-2.zip
2) Unzip the zip file "apache-groovy-src-3.0.0-beta-2.zip"
3) Run `gradle installGroovy` (Require gradle 5.5 and JDK9+ to build)
4) Get the distribution from the generated directory "install"

-----
Apache Groovy committer & PMC member
Blog: http://blog.sunlan.me
Twitter: @daniel_sun

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Groovy 3.0.0-beta-2 Released

Mirco
Hi Paul,
sorry for the late response.
Actually, soon after I sent the e-mail (in May) I noticed that a similar issue was tracked (GROOVY-9136).
At the time I was convinced (evidently incorrectly, sorry) that the ticket described the same issue.
Eventually that bug was resolved and closed in a few days with this test:

src/test/groovy/bugs/Groovy9136.groovy
"""
@groovy.transform.CompileStatic
class Foo {
public String field = 'foo'
}
@groovy.transform.CompileStatic
class Bar {
        def doIt(Foo foo) {
            'baz'.with {
                foo.field // GROOVY-9136: Access to Foo#foo is forbidden at line: -1, column: -1
def bar = new Bar()
def out = bar.doIt(new Foo())
assert out == 'foo'
"""

I was really puzzled last week when I realized that while the two problems are related there is a significant
difference between the two test scripts.
After further investigation I would refine the problem in this terms:
The compiler complains when inside a closure one try to access a public
field without a getter... of an object created within the closure scope

Now, with this new insight, it's simple to modify the above test to make it fail.

"""
@groovy.transform.CompileStatic
class Foo {
public String field = 'foo'