[ANNOUNCE] Apache Groovy 2.5.0-rc-1 released

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Groovy 2.5.0-rc-1 released

paulk
Dear community,

The Apache Groovy team is pleased to announce version 2.5.0-rc-1 of
Apache Groovy.
Apache Groovy is a multi-faceted programming language for the JVM.
Further details can be found at the http://groovy.apache.org website.

This is a pre-release of a new version of Groovy.
We greatly appreciate any feedback you can give us when using this version.

This release includes 18 bug fixes/improvements as outlined in the changelog:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12318123&version=12342817

Sources, convenience binaries, downloadable documentation and an SDK
bundle can be found at: http://www.groovy-lang.org/download.html
We recommend you verify your installation using the information on that page.

Jars are also available within the major binary repositories.

We welcome your help and feedback and in particular want
to thank everyone who contributed to this release.

For more information on how to report problems, and to get involved,
visit the project website at https://groovy.apache.org/

Best regards,

The Apache Groovy team.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Groovy 2.5.0-rc-1 released

paulk_asert
We have the "by hand" release note summary (though I observe that it needs further updates):

http://groovy-lang.org/releasenotes/groovy-2.5.html

We can certainly also list the aggregate Jira issues (but with over 250 issues it is a little hard to understand at a glance):

I couldn't see an easy way to produce the "release note" format using multiple versions but if someone can let me know if that can be done, we can add that instead.

Cheers, Paul.

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 5:20 PM, Cédric Champeau <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Paul,

Thanks for making this release. It would be nice to have _cummulative_ change log/release notes since 2.4. As they are now, the notes are pretty useless as it doesn't indicate what changes from the last major release.

WDYT?

[...]

Nice!

P.S. I plan to release 3.0.0 alpha 2 this week :-)

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Groovy 2.5.0-rc-1 released

Jochen Theodorou

Am 09.04.2018 um 14:16 schrieb Daniel.Sun:
> Nice!
>
> P.S. I plan to release 3.0.0 alpha 2 this week :-)

can you guys btw check groovydoc? I think there are some classes missing
compared to 2.4.x

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Groovy 2.5.0-rc-1 released

Daniel.Sun
Hi Jochen,

     Do you mean some classes' groovydoc files are missing in the 2.5.0 rc-1
release?

On 09.04.2018 16:50, Daniel.Sun wrote:
> Hi Jochen,
>
>       Do you mean some classes' groovydoc files are missing in the 2.5.0 rc-1
> release?

yes, the list of classes to choose from in the html, seems to be much
shorter

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Groovy 2.5.0-rc-1 released

Marcin Erdmann
Paul,

I'm having a go at giving this release a spin by updating Geb's build to use it but unfortunately I'm not having any luck with trying to use the groovy-all artifact. I understand from the earlier thread about updates to the build on the dev list that the jar for that artifact is not published and it's supposed to just be a dependency only aritfact which will be useful for resolving all of Groovy's modules.

To quote you:

The idea (once finished) is that you can still depend on a groovy-all dependency via Maven or Gradle and you'll automatically get the multiple required equivalent jars of the current single groovy-all jar.

Unfortunately this is not the case. Given a simple build like:

plugins {
id 'groovy'
}

repositories {
mavenCentral()
}

dependencies {
compile 'org.codehaus.groovy:groovy-all:2.5.0-rc-1'
}

and an empty Groovy class in the main source set when running `gradle build` I'm getting:

Could not resolve all dependencies for configuration ':compileClasspath'.
> Could not find groovy-all.jar (org.codehaus.groovy:groovy-all:2.5.0-rc-1).
  Searched in the following locations:

I tried changing the dependency to 'org.codehaus.groovy:groovy-all:2.5.0-rc-1@pom' but while in that case dependency resolution phase succeeds the build itself then fails with:

Cannot infer Groovy class path because no Groovy Jar was found on class path: configuration ':compileClasspath'

I do not see any of the modules apart from groovy-all itself being added to the configuration when running `gradle dependencies --configuration compile`:

compile - Dependencies for source set 'main'.
\--- org.codehaus.groovy:groovy-all:2.5.0-rc-1

Am I doing something wrong or is the way forward not using groovy-all anymore and explicitly depending on only the used modules?

Cheers,
Marcin