[ANN] Second release candidate for Groovy 2.1.0

[ANN] Second release candidate for Groovy 2.1.0

The Groovy team is pleased to announce the second release candidate of Groovy 2.1.0.

The final release is merely days away, so please be sure to test that release and give us your feedback, before we go gold.

Unless really critical bugs or regressions arise, we're aiming at going final next week or the following.

Download and try Groovy 2.1.0-rc-2 here:

The JIRA release notes:

As a reminder of what's coming, here's what you can expect from Groovy 2.1:
  • complete invoke dynamic support when running with the "indy" JAR on JDK 7
  • upgrade to GPars 1.0: the Groovy distribution now bundles the GPars 1.0 final release
  • @DelegatesTo annotation: to help IDEs and the static type checker and compiler to know that method calls in a method parameter closure are delegated to another parameter of the method -- nice for DSLs like in Gradle build files
  • custom type checking extensions: so you can type check your DSLs at compile-time with your own logic
  • meta-annotation system: which allows you to define a new annotation actually combining several others -- which also means being able to apply several AST transformations with a single custom annotation
  • custom base script class flag for the groovyc compiler: to set a base script class when compiling Groovy scripts
  • compiler configuration script: to let you define various configuration options for the Groovy compiler, like specifying custom file extensions, various compilation customizers to apply, etc.
  • compilation customizer builder: a special builder for specifying compilation customizers
  • jar://, file://, http:// prefix support for launching Groovy scripts from the command line
  • and many bug fixes and various minor improvements
Thanks a lot for your great contributions, in whichever form it takes, and particular thanks to some of our most prolific contributors sending us frequent patches and pull requests: André Steingreß, Tim Yates, and Pascal Schumacher.

Keep on Groovy'ing :-)

SpringSource, a division of VMware

Re: [ANN] Second release candidate for Groovy 2.1.0

We've just pushed another release candidate with RC-3.
A few minor bug fixes got included in this new version.

As usual, you can download this version here:

We're planning to release the final version of Groovy 2.1.0 in the coming days, stay tuned!

Thanks for your attention.

Guillaume

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

[...]

Ske ptic
Can those features :

  • custom base script class flag for the groovyc compiler: to set a base script class when compiling Groovy scripts
  • compiler configuration script: to let you define various configuration options for the Groovy compiler, like specifying custom file extensions, various compilation customizers to apply, etc.

be supported by the eclipse plugin ?

Recently I had to change how I handle my scripts, instead of compiling them ahead of time and putting them as class files in a .jar, now I execute them with the groovy script engine at runtime to set a base script class. Of course, that means a performance hit (at least the first time they are executed), so it would be very helpful to me to be able to return to pre-compiled scripts.

Thanks.