[ANN] Release Candidate for Groovy 2.1.0

[ANN] Release Candidate for Groovy 2.1.0

As promised before the Christmas / New Year's Eve break, I'm happy to announce the availability of the Release Candidate for Groovy 2.1.0.

Please be sure to test that release and give us your feedback, before we go final.
Unless really critical bugs or regressions arise, we're aiming at going final by the end of the month.

Download and try Groovy 2.1.0-rc-1 here:

The JIRA release notes:

As a reminder of what's coming (pending the final release notes document), here's what you can expect from Groovy 2.1:
  • complete invoke dynamic support when running with the "indy" JAR on JDK 7
  • upgrade to GPars 1.0: the Groovy distribution now bundles the GPars 1.0 final release
  • @DelegatesTo annotation: to help IDEs and the static type checker and compiler to know that method calls in a method parameter closure are delegated to another parameter of the method -- nice for DSLs like in Gradle build files
  • custom type checking extensions: so you can type check your DSLs at compile-time with your own logic
  • meta-annotation system: which allows you to define a new annotation actually combining several others -- which also means being able to apply several AST transformations with a single custom annotation
  • custom base script class flag for the groovyc compiler: to set a base script class when compiling Groovy scripts
  • compiler configuration script: to let you define various configuration options for the Groovy compiler, like specifying custom file extensions, various compilation customizers to apply, etc.
  • compilation customizer builder: a special builder for specifying compilation customizers
  • jar://, file://, http:// prefix support for launching Groovy scripts from the command line
  • and many bug fixes and various minor improvements
Thanks a lot to all the contributors to this release!
And on behalf of the team, I wish our Groovy users all the best for 2013!

SpringSource, a division of VMware

Re: [ANN] Release Candidate for Groovy 2.1.0

Kendall Shaw
On 01/10/2013 05:58 AM, Guillaume Laforge wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As promised before the Christmas / New Year's Eve break, I'm happy to
> announce the availability of the *Release Candidate for Groovy 2.1.0*.

A minor comment: I always want source and I always want javadoc. An
additional link to an archive containing source, binary and
documentation would allow people to download once rather than 3 times.

Kendall

Re: [ANN] Release Candidate for Groovy 2.1.0

Guillaume Laforge-4
Hi Kendall,

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Kendall Shaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

A minor comment: I always want source and I always want javadoc. An additional link to an archive containing source, binary and documentation would allow people to download once rather than 3 times.

Interesting... hmmm... users usually want small downloads, so they can just pick up the ones they're interested in.
So we went that route a long time ago.
Perhaps we could create a big bundle -- but that's low priority for us though.
Feel free to create a JIRA issue if you wish.

http://www.springsource.com/g2one

Re: [ANN] Release Candidate for Groovy 2.1.0

Paul Bennett
+1 on that

On Jan 10, 2013, at 9:50 AM, Kendall Shaw wrote:

> On 01/10/2013 05:58 AM, Guillaume Laforge wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As promised before the Christmas / New Year's Eve break, I'm happy to
>> announce the availability of the *Release Candidate for Groovy 2.1.0*.
>
> A minor comment: I always want source and I always want javadoc. An additional link to an archive containing source, binary and documentation would allow people to download once rather than 3 times.
>
> Kendall

-pb

Re: [ANN] Release Candidate for Groovy 2.1.0

pschumacher
I created a jira issue: https://github.com/groovy/groovy-core/pull/105

and a pull request: https://github.com/groovy/groovy-core/pull/105

for this.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 12:29:50 -0500
> Von: Paul Bennett <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: Re: [groovy-user] [ANN] Release Candidate for Groovy 2.1.0

> +1 on that
>
> On Jan 10, 2013, at 9:50 AM, Kendall Shaw wrote:
>
> > On 01/10/2013 05:58 AM, Guillaume Laforge wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> As promised before the Christmas / New Year's Eve break, I'm happy to
> >> announce the availability of the *Release Candidate for Groovy 2.1.0*.
> >
> > A minor comment: I always want source and I always want javadoc. An
> additional link to an archive containing source, binary and documentation would
> allow people to download once rather than 3 times.
> >
> > Kendall

> >   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
> >

> -pb

Re: [ANN] Release Candidate for Groovy 2.1.0

pschumacher
sorry, this is the link to the jira issue: https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GROOVY-5904

Re: [ANN] Release Candidate for Groovy 2.1.0

Markus Günther

+1 to the big bundle

Am 13.01.2013 20:43 schrieb "Pascal Schumacher" <[hidden email]>:
sorry, this is the link to the jira issue: https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GROOVY-5904

Re: [ANN] Release Candidate for Groovy 2.1.0

Carlos Cortinhas
Another +1, would be useful

Em 15-01-2013 04:38, Markus Günther escreveu:

> +1 to the big bundle
> Am 13.01.2013 20:43 schrieb "Pascal Schumacher" <[hidden email]>:
>
>> sorry, this is the link to the jira issue:
>> https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GROOVY-5904

Re: [ANN] Release Candidate for Groovy 2.1.0

UEHARA Junji-2
Thanks for the release of Groovy 2.1.0-rc-1. I like many of future which
included in this release. But i have some questions.

1. Can we use the custom type checker to control the code generation?
    For example, when static type error "Method not found" occurred,
    can we modify the generating code to  "invokeMethod()" call on
    the object?

 2. Custom type checker can be used for more general checking?
     For example, raise error if the method name is not camel
     case or class name is not starts with lower case character.

thanks again for very significant release!

--
UEHARA Junji

2013/1/10 Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]>
Hi all,

[...]

You've received this message because you've subscribed to the Gaelyk Google Group.
To send an email to the group, please write to: [hidden email]
To unsuscribe from this group: [hidden email]
To show more options: http://groups.google.fr/group/gaelyk?hl=en

UEHARA Junji

Re: [ANN] Release Candidate for Groovy 2.1.0

Cédric Champeau
Le 16/01/2013 04:00, UEHARA Junji a écrit :
Hi,
Thanks for the release of Groovy 2.1.0-rc-1. I like many of future which
included in this release. But i have some questions.

1. Can we use the custom type checker to control the code generation?
    For example, when static type error "Method not found" occurred,
    can we modify the generating code to  "invokeMethod()" call on
    the object?
Strictly speaking, this is type checking, so no, you should not change the AST. Technically, this is another story, you have access to the AST so you can change it. This is not something I would recommand, but you can.

 2. Custom type checker can be used for more general checking?
     For example, raise error if the method name is not camel
     case or class name is not starts with lower case character.

Yes, you can. This is one of the goals of type checking extensions: the ability to throw errors where the regular type checker would be happy, as to raise errors in DSL context, for example.
thanks again for very significant release!

Thank you for testing!

--

  • jar://, <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="file://">file://, http:// prefix support for launching Groovy scripts from the command line
  • and many bug fixes and various minor improvements
Thanks a lot to all the contributors to this release!
And on behalf of the team, I wish our Groovy users all the best for 2013!

SpringSource, a division of VMware

--
You've received this message because you've subscribed to the Gaelyk Google Group.
To send an email to the group, please write to: [hidden email]
To unsuscribe from this group: [hidden email]
To show more options: http://groups.google.fr/group/gaelyk?hl=en

--
UEHARA Junji

SpringSource - A Division Of VMware