[ANN] Groovy is looking for a new home

Pivotal just announced it’s decision to stop sponsoring and funding the development of the popular Groovy and Grails Open Source projects. As a result, both Groovy and Grails are looking for new sponsors willing to further help develop the projects full steam!

The Groovy programming language has been around for a while for more than 11 years. During that time, it has nicely evolved from a side hobby project to the very mature and successful alternative language it is today, used by Fortune 500 companies throughout the world, in various projects and contexts.

With 1.7 million downloads in 2012, 3 million in 2013, and well over 4 million in 2014 (definitive numbers still need to be calculated), Groovy is leading the pack of the JVM language ecosystem, and continues seeing positive growth.

There are many ideas the Groovy team wants to develop further, features we want to bring to life, improvements we want to make, to keep Groovy always ahead of the curve, to help you developers be productive on the JVM platform. For that, we’ve been thankful for having had a handful of us able to work full time on the project, and we’re looking forward continuing to do so under a new umbrella.

The Groovy community has always been a key driver for the language, providing feedback, bug reports, contributions big and small, and we hope that you will help us find a solution to make Groovy shine as bright as ever.

Of course, we’re going to continue to develop Groovy, open it to new horizons like we did for the Android platform, implement new features, fix bugs, increase performance, complete the new documentation, launch the new website, and more. Your contributions will obviously be more than welcome to sustain the project’s pace. We’re looking forward to working with you all to push Groovy forward!

If your company is interested in discussing funding of the project, and employing members of the Groovy team, please don’t hesitate to contact us directly ([hidden email]). Thanks in advance for your help, and keep on groovy’ing!

Pivotal, Inc.

Re: [ANN] Groovy is looking for a new home

jnorthr
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: [ANN] Groovy is looking for a new home

Sergei Egorov
O_O

Good luck, guys! I hope world will not leave such a good project as orphan

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 12:07 PM, jim northrop <[hidden email]> wrote:
when i win the lottery i'm going to buy the whole lot of you :-)

Hi all,

Best regards,
Sergei Egorov

Re: [ANN] Groovy is looking for a new home

Dylan Cali
Really sad and disappointed to see this.

"The decision to conclude its sponsorship of Groovy and Grails is part
of Pivotal’s larger strategy to concentrate resources on accelerating
both commercial and open source projects that support its growing
traction in Platform-as-a-Service, Data, and Agile development."

I'm surprised Groovy didn't at least fit into their 'Agile
development' category.

Re: [ANN] Groovy is looking for a new home

Henrique Lobo Weissmann
Actually, it's no surprise for me.

I tried to contact Pivotal these seven years SEVERAL times. Sometimes I've tried to do this weekly.
Never got a response, never.

And here are some of the things I made:

* Grails Brasil - the largest Groovy and Grails community in registered members. http://www.grailsbrasil.com.br (almost 2100 by now)
* My blog - http://devkico.itexto.com.br - (http://devkico.itexto.com.br/en english version)
* The "Semana Groovy" newsletter
* Several trainings around Brazil

It's a large community, and I never got a single answer when trying to reach for any kind of partnership.

Well, now I sent you an e-mail (the Groovy and Grails team) looking for partnership. Can we try something now here in Brazil where there's a HUGE marketing that I'm telling you about for years?

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Dylan Cali <[hidden email]> wrote:
Really sad and disappointed to see this.

"The decision to conclude its sponsorship of Groovy and Grails is part
of Pivotal’s larger strategy to concentrate resources on accelerating
both commercial and open source projects that support its growing
traction in Platform-as-a-Service, Data, and Agile development."

I'm surprised Groovy didn't at least fit into their 'Agile
development' category.

Henrique Lobo Weissmann (Kico)
(55) 31 9226-0459
http://devkico.itexto.com.br
http://www.twitter.com/loboweissmann

Am 19.01.2015 11:33, schrieb Dylan Cali:
> Really sad and disappointed to see this.
>
> "The decision to conclude its sponsorship of Groovy and Grails is part
> of Pivotal’s larger strategy to concentrate resources on accelerating
> both commercial and open source projects that support its growing
> traction in Platform-as-a-Service, Data, and Agile development."
>
> I'm surprised Groovy didn't at least fit into their 'Agile
> development' category.

I could now go and spread rumors like that Pivotals idea of agile is far
off what others think of that. But that would be me spreading rumors,
and I don't usually like doing that. So... go ask Pivotal. If they are
agil enough they should be able to answer this swiftly ;)

Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou - Groovy Project Tech Lead
german groovy discussion newsgroup: de.comp.lang.misc
For Groovy programming sources visit http://groovy-lang.org

Re: [ANN] Groovy is looking for a new home

chiquitinxx
What do other languages do?
Create a company around the language and get money on support?

If every company that uses groovy pays symbolic 1000$ / year,.....

Sure there are more options! Sad day, but sure the beginning of a better Groovy!

[...]

Re: [groovy-announce] [ANN] Groovy is looking for a new home

Tajul Islam-2
Man, That's a Horrible news,

We have about 11 projects in live since 2010. I am surely try schedule with few companies to manage findings. Any idea  of yearly cost?

Regards
Mohammed Tajul Islam

Phone : (+880) 173230055

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 4:02 PM, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

[...]

The language itself rarely sells, especially not if it is free OSS. What
sells is usually training, project work, support, but best is an actual
product that involves the language. I mean even in the case of Java, it
is not really Java making the money, it is the JVM and the products
centered around it.

If indeed every company that uses groovy would pay a symbolic 1000$ per
year, we could probably make some kind of Groovy Foundation and continue
through that.

bye blackdrag