[ANN] Groovy 2.4 released!

The Groovy team is happy to announce the release of Groovy 2.4.0!

The big highlight of this release is the Android support, which allows developers to write Android applications fully using Groovy, with much less boilerplate code than raw Java.

The team also focused on various improvements in terms of performance, smaller bytecode generation, or memory consumption.

Other interesting aspects worth noticing in this release are:
  • traits can use the @SelfType annotation with static type checking enabled to restrict to what classes traits can be applied
  • GDK methods improvements
  • some refinements to existing AST transformations
  • further Groovysh improvements as well.
Please have a look at the full release notes for Groovy 2.4 to know more about the new features and all the interesting tickets closed.

You can have a look at the 2.4 changelog on the new Groovy website too.

And then, just go grab this release while it's hot!

Thanks a lot to all those who contributed to this release, whether through bug reports, but also with documentation or code contributions through pull requests. All your help is warmly welcome!

Your support of Groovy and its ecosystem is what makes Groovy so strong, and what will allow it to continue making us all more productive for the next decade!

Keep on groovy'ing!

Pivotal, Inc.

Pivotal, Inc.

Re: [ANN] Groovy 2.4 released!

jn0rthr
actually was going to fix it myself using the 'Improve This Doc' button but that just leads to
def linkVersionToDownload = distributions.collect { it.packages }.flatten().find { it.stable }.version
which is beyond the scope of a L&F fix 0 sorry :-}

On Jan 21, 2015, at 10:41 PM, Guillaume Laforge wrote:

[...]

Pivotal, Inc.

Pivotal, Inc.

Re: [ANN] Groovy 2.4 released!

Dylan Cali
On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 6:14 AM, Guillaume Laforge
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, we're going to investigate if we can benefit from Atlassian's OSS
> hosting to move our tickets there.
>
> Guillaume

Why not use Github Issues if you have to migrate anyways and you
already accept pull requests there?  Or would it be too hard to
convert existing tickets?

Re: [ANN] Groovy 2.4 released!

Cédric Champeau
On 22/01/2015 14:40, Dylan Cali wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 6:14 AM, Guillaume Laforge
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yes, we're going to investigate if we can benefit from Atlassian's OSS
>> hosting to move our tickets there.
>>
>> Guillaume
> Why not use Github Issues if you have to migrate anyways and you
> already accept pull requests there?  Or would it be too hard to
> convert existing tickets?
GitHub issues is far inferior to what JIRA provides. No dashboards, no
custom filters, basic searches, ... For a small project it makes sense
to use GitHub issues, but for a project like Groovy, it is a problem.
And yes, migrating would be horrible.

Groovy language developer
http://twitter.com/CedricChampeau
http://melix.github.io/blog

groovy 2.4.0 having problem with Grapes

ericksn

-bash-4.1$ rm -rf ../../.groovy/grapes/commons-codec

-bash-4.1$ cat codec

@Grab('commons-codec:commons-codec:1.10')

import org.apache.commons.codec.binary.Base64.*

println 'ok'

$ groovy -v

Groovy Version: 2.3.9 JVM: 1.6.0 Vendor: IBM Corporation OS: Linux

$ groovy codec

Ok

Install groovy 2.4.0 …

$ rm -rf ../../.groovy/grapes/commons-codec

$ groovy -v

Groovy Version: 2.4.0 JVM: 1.6.0 Vendor: IBM Corporation OS: Linux

$ groovy codec

org.codehaus.groovy.control.MultipleCompilationErrorsException: startup failed:

General error during conversion: Error grabbing Grapes -- [unresolved dependency: commons-codec#commons-codec;1.10: not found]

java.lang.RuntimeException: Error grabbing Grapes -- [unresolved dependency: commons-codec#commons-codec;1.10: not found]

        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:44)

        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:516)

        at org.codehaus.groovy.reflection.CachedConstructor.invoke(CachedConstructor.java:77)

        at org.codehaus.groovy.reflection.CachedConstructor.doConstructorInvoke(CachedConstructor.java:71)

        at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.ConstructorSite$ConstructorSiteNoUnwrap.callConstructor(ConstructorSite.java:81)

        at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCallConstructor(CallSiteArray.java:57)

        at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.callConstructor(AbstractCallSite.java:230)

        at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.callConstructor(AbstractCallSite.java:242)

        at groovy.grape.GrapeIvy.getDependencies(GrapeIvy.groovy:418)

        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:48)

       at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.PogoMetaMethodSite$PogoCachedMethodSite.invoke(PogoMetaMethodSite.java:166)

        at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.PogoMetaMethodSite.callCurrent(PogoMetaMethodSite.java:56)

        at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCallCurrent(CallSiteArray.java:49)

        at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.callCurrent(AbstractCallSite.java:149)

        at groovy.grape.GrapeIvy.resolve(GrapeIvy.groovy:563)

        at groovy.grape.GrapeIvy$resolve$1.callCurrent(Unknown Source)

        at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCallCurrent(CallSiteArray.java:49)

        at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.callCurrent(AbstractCallSite.java:149)

        at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.callCurrent(AbstractCallSite.java:185)

        at groovy.grape.GrapeIvy.resolve(GrapeIvy.groovy:532)

        at groovy.grape.GrapeIvy$resolve$0.callCurrent(Unknown Source)

        at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCallCurrent(CallSiteArray.java:49)

        at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.callCurrent(AbstractCallSite.java:149)

        at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.callCurrent(AbstractCallSite.java:177)

        at groovy.grape.GrapeIvy.grab(GrapeIvy.groovy:254)

        at groovy.grape.Grape.grab(Grape.java:163)

        at groovy.grape.GrabAnnotationTransformation.visit(GrabAnnotationTransformation.java:358)

        at org.codehaus.groovy.transform.ASTTransformationVisitor$3.call(ASTTransformationVisitor.java:319)

        at org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit.applyToSourceUnits(CompilationUnit.java:928)

        at org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit.doPhaseOperation(CompilationUnit.java:590)

        at org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit.processPhaseOperations(CompilationUnit.java:566)

        at org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit.compile(CompilationUnit.java:543)

        at groovy.lang.GroovyClassLoader.doParseClass(GroovyClassLoader.java:297)

        at groovy.lang.GroovyClassLoader.parseClass(GroovyClassLoader.java:267)

        at groovy.lang.GroovyShell.parseClass(GroovyShell.java:692)

        at groovy.lang.GroovyShell.run(GroovyShell.java:521)

        at groovy.lang.GroovyShell.run(GroovyShell.java:511)

        at groovy.ui.GroovyMain.processOnce(GroovyMain.java:650)

        at groovy.ui.GroovyMain.run(GroovyMain.java:381)

        at groovy.ui.GroovyMain.process(GroovyMain.java:367)

        at groovy.ui.GroovyMain.processArgs(GroovyMain.java:126)

        at groovy.ui.GroovyMain.main(GroovyMain.java:106)

        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:48)

        at org.codehaus.groovy.tools.GroovyStarter.rootLoader(GroovyStarter.java:106)

        at org.codehaus.groovy.tools.GroovyStarter.main(GroovyStarter.java:128)

1 error

Please have a look at the <a href="http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GROOVY/Groovy&#43;2.4&#43;release&#43;notes" target="_blank"> full release notes for Groovy 2.4 to know more about the new features and all the interesting tickets closed.

You can have a look at the 2.4 changelog on the new Groovy website too.

And then, just go grab this release while it's hot!

Thanks a lot to all those who contributed to this release, whether through bug reports, but also with documentation or code contributions through pull requests. All your help is warmly welcome!

Your support of Groovy and its ecosystem is what makes Groovy so strong, and what will allow it to continue making us all more productive for the next decade!

Keep on groovy'ing!

Pivotal, Inc.

Pivotal, Inc.

Pivotal, Inc.