[ANN] Groovy 2.0 is released!

Dear all,

The Groovy development team is very pleased to announce the release of Groovy 2.0, the highly popular dynamic language for the Java platform.

For the key highlights of this important milestone, Groovy 2.0 comes packed with:
  • a static type checker to let the compiler tell you about the correctness of your code,
  • static compilation for the performance of the critical parts of your application,
  • modularity, splitting the Groovy JAR into smaller feature-oriented JARs and letting you create your own extension modules,
  • JDK 7 Project Coin syntax enhancements, so that Groovy is still as friendly as possible with its Java cousin,
  • and JDK 7 Invoke Dynamic integration to benefit from the support of the JVM for dynamic languages.

To learn more about all those great key new features, please read the Groovy 2.0 article on InfoQ that I’ve written, detailing and explaining all those novelties.

To download Groovy 2.0, go to the download area of the Groovy website.

For further information on all the JIRA issues fixed in this release and the various betas and release candidates, you can have a look at the JIRA changelog.

We’d like to thank all our users, all the contributors and committers who made this important release a reality, thanks to their feedback, their support, and their contributions.

Have a Groovy day!

Guillaume Laforge, on the behalf of the Groovy team.

SpringSource, a division of VMware

Re: [LCC] [ANN] Groovy 2.0 is released!

Stephane Maldini
Congrats. And yet another time Happy Birthday Mr Laforge. Now thats a celebration.

--
Vous recevez ce message, car vous êtes abonné au groupe Google Groupes lescastcodeurs.
Pour envoyer un message à ce groupe, adressez un e-mail à [hidden email].

Stéphane MALDINI

Re: [ANN] Groovy 2.0 is released!

Sebastien ARBOGAST
Kudos! Today is a happy day!
---
Sébastien Arbogast
http://sebastien-arbogast.com

2012/6/28 Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]>:

> Dear all,
>
> The Groovy development team is very pleased to announce the release of
> Groovy 2.0, the highly popular dynamic language for the Java platform.
>
> For the key highlights of this important milestone, Groovy 2.0 comes packed
> with:
>
> a static type checker to let the compiler tell you about the correctness of
> your code,
> static compilation for the performance of the critical parts of your
> application,
> modularity, splitting the Groovy JAR into smaller feature-oriented JARs and
> letting you create your own extension modules,
> JDK 7 Project Coin syntax enhancements, so that Groovy is still as friendly
> as possible with its Java cousin,
> and JDK 7 Invoke Dynamic integration to benefit from the support of the JVM
> for dynamic languages.
>

> To learn more about all those great key new features, please read the Groovy
> 2.0 article on InfoQ that I’ve written, detailing and explaining all those
> novelties.
>
> To download Groovy 2.0, go to the download area of the Groovy website.
>
> For further information on all the JIRA issues fixed in this release and the
> various betas and release candidates, you can have a look at the JIRA
> changelog.
>
> We’d like to thank all our users, all the contributors and committers who
> made this important release a reality, thanks to their feedback, their
> support, and their contributions.
>
> Have a Groovy day!
>
> Guillaume Laforge, on the behalf of the Groovy team.
>
> --
> Guillaume Laforge
> Groovy Project Manager
> SpringSource, a division of VMware
>
> Blog: http://glaforge.appspot.com/
> Social: @glaforge / Google+

indy implementation in Groovy 2.0 seems significantly improved

Stergios Papadimitriou

from some math benches performed with the GroovyLab project
(http://code.google.com/p/jlabgroovy/)
seems that the final release of Groovy 2.0 has improved
significantly indy implementation.

Is that true?

.. and congratulations to the Groovy developers for the impressive speed
improvements that attained and for their overall excellent work!!

sterg

Any Flags Required to Enable Groovy 2 Indy / Invoke Dynamic with JSR 223 javax.script.ScriptEngine?

bebrooks

While reading through the "Enabling invoke dynamic support" section of

http://www.infoq.com/articles/new-groovy-20

I noticed that enabling invoke dynamic support typically requires some kind of flag to tell Groovy that you want it to use invoke dynamic bytecode.  However, I didn't see anything about  JSR 223's javax.script.ScriptEngine.  Is anything special required to enable indy when executing using JSR 223's javax.script.ScriptEngine#eval?

Thanks,
Brian

Re: indy implementation in Groovy 2.0 seems significantly improved

Am 28.06.2012 14:09, schrieb sp:
> Hi all,
>
> from some math benches performed with the GroovyLab project
> (http://code.google.com/p/jlabgroovy/)
> seems that the final release of Groovy 2.0 has improved
> significantly indy implementation.
>
> Is that true?

maybe a bit, but a bigger leap should be with 2.1. It depends very much
on your JVM and of course the code.

Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou - Groovy Project Tech Lead
german groovy discussion newsgroup: de.comp.lang.misc
For Groovy programming sources visit http://groovy-lang.org

Re: indy implementation in Groovy 2.0 seems significantly improved

Guillaume Laforge-4
I'd be curious to hear about the benchmarks you're running, Sterg?
It might be a good set of cases we could also run to see how are changes to the invoke dynamic support evolves.

Guillaume

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Jochen Theodorou <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 28.06.2012 14:09, schrieb sp:

Hi all,

from some math benches performed with the GroovyLab project
(http://code.google.com/p/jlabgroovy/)
seems that the final release of Groovy 2.0 has improved
significantly indy implementation.

Is that true?

maybe a bit, but a bigger leap should be with 2.1. It depends very much on your JVM and of course the code.

Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou - Groovy Project Tech Lead
german groovy discussion newsgroup: de.comp.lang.misc
For Groovy programming sources visit http://groovy-lang.org

http://www.springsource.com/g2one

Re: Any Flags Required to Enable Groovy 2 Indy / Invoke Dynamic with JSR 223 javax.script.ScriptEngine?

Guillaume Laforge-4
Hi Brian,

Ah well... JSR 223's javax.script APIs... still so inflexible -- but I'm repeating myself here :-)
I tried to convince the guys behind JSR 223 a while ago to enhance the API with at least something like a map to further configure the scripting engines, but alas, they told me they have no plans to evolve it and implement that...

Anyhow... there's a way to leverage invoke dynamic, but that means you'll have to cast your engine to GroovyScriptEngineImpl.
Then you'll be able to use the GroovyScriptEngineImpl(GroovyClassLoader) constructor, which is obviously implementation specific.
When you're instantiating your own GroovyClassLoader, you pass a CompilerConfiguration instance to it.
And you can follow the details from the article to properly configure that CompilerConfiguration with invoke dynamic support.

Hope this helps!

Guillaume

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 2:50 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

While reading through the "Enabling invoke dynamic support" section of

http://www.infoq.com/articles/new-groovy-20

I noticed that enabling invoke dynamic support typically requires some kind of flag to tell Groovy that you want it to use invoke dynamic bytecode.  However, I didn't see anything about  JSR 223's javax.script.ScriptEngine.  Is anything special required to enable indy when executing using JSR 223's javax.script.ScriptEngine#eval?

Thanks,
Brian

http://www.springsource.com/g2one

Re: [ANN] Groovy 2.0 is released!

Will Piasecki
Great work!! I'll try to use it in eclipse with jboss seam.

Congrats!