[ANN] Groovy 2.0.5

Cédric Champeau
Hi!

The Groovy development team is happy to announce a new bugfix release for the Groovy 2.0.x series. This version fixes a long standing (and critical) bug which appeared in Grails as a side effect of another bugfix in 2.0.4, as well as other minor bugfixes.

To download this version, go to the regular place: http://groovy.codehaus.org/Download

Maven artifacts are available in the Codehaus repository and will be sync'ed within a few hours with Maven Central.

For the complete release notes, you can take a look here: http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10242&version=18820

Thank you all!
SpringSource - A Division Of VMware
http://www.springsource.com/
http://twitter.com/CedricChampeau

Re: [ANN] Groovy 2.0.5

Steve Amerige
Hi Cédric and all,

In most organizations, there eventually comes a time in which a product needs to be shipped and rely on a particular version of Groovy.  The questions are:

1. Can Groovy 2.0.4 be safely used for production/shipping software?  Our use case does not involve Grails... just Groovy.

2. Looking at the Jira details, it is difficult to know whether issues should be considered to be show-stoppers for using the previous version of Groovy.

I'd like to request that some summary information be included in release notes so that we can better decide if we need to make any exceptions in our release process in considering whether to take a bug-fix release of Groovy (such as 2.0.5) when we are already at or past Code Freeze.

In other words, we need a summary risk assessment and the folks doing Groovy development are in the best position to know just how important it is for people to take a new release.  Yes, we can read each of the bugs, but what would be helpful is some guidance from Codehaus, the people who know Groovy best, to help us understand the importance of taking a new release.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer on "how important" it is to take new releases of Groovy in your future release notes.  For Groovy version 2.0.5, can you provide any summary guidance to this mailing list?

Best regards,
Steve Amerige, Senior Software Developer
SAS Institute

On 10/4/2012 9:21 AM, Cédric Champeau wrote:
[...]

On JIRA, there is one special tag which is called "breaking" which is used to mark issues that are *potentially* breaking changes. In 2.0.5, we don't have such an issue. However, as a general rule, it is recommanded to upgrade to the latest bugfix version if possible, at least during development phase. On production, I would recommand to change version only if you have a problem or a security issue is found.

The latest bugfix version is 2.0.5. Now, we try to follow the rules of semantic versioning, which means that new features are only introduced in 2.x releases, not in 2.0.x, and major changes are kept for 3.x.

Groovy has a large user codebase, so we try to issue bugfix releases often so that people facing a bug do not get stuck too long.

I hope this helps!

http://www.springsource.com/
http://twitter.com/CedricChampeau

Re: [ANN] Groovy 2.0.5

Am 05.10.2012 14:57, schrieb Steve Amerige:
[...]
> I'd like to request that some summary information be included in release
> notes so that we can better decide if we need to make any exceptions in
> our release process in considering whether to take a bug-fix release of
> Groovy (such as 2.0.5) when we are already at or past Code Freeze.

Such a summary can be long and as uninteresting as the bugs themselves.
For 1.8.9 for example it will be a much longer list... But well, for
2.0.5 the list is short enough...

the most critical bug is GROOVY-5730 if you use ExpandoMetaClass. The
bug was marked as blocker, and it is really a critical thing, since it
was introduced with 2.0.4 and some things do not work properly anymore
if EMC is used. There is some stuff related to GroovyScriptEngine as
well. The other stuff I would mark as minor.

Maybe it would help sorting the bugs by component and enforcing the
components more. Then people can more easily decide if it is critical
for them.

Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou - Groovy Project Tech Lead
german groovy discussion newsgroup: de.comp.lang.misc
For Groovy programming sources visit http://groovy-lang.org