A few stats about Apache Groovy

The RebelLabs '17 report ranks Apache Groovy 3rd in language popularity, right behind Java 7 and Java 8:

And I wanted to share some recent download stats, combining downloads from Maven Central and Bintray.

For the first 8 months of 2017, Groovy was downloaded more than 30 million times!
Compare this with the 23.4M for the whole of 2018!

Groovy was downloaded more than 4 million times a month those past 4 months.
And in August, we even reached 5M+ downloads!

Not bad, right? :-)

Re: A few stats about Apache Groovy

MG
Not bad indeed... :-)

Re: A few stats about Apache Groovy

Andres Almiray
On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 4:25 PM, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Compare this with the 23.4M for the whole of 2018!

I knew it! I knew it! Mr. G. has a time machine ;-)

Re: A few stats about Apache Groovy

Roooohhhh damn... of course, I meant for the whole 2016!!!!

And here's a pretty picture:

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 4:33 PM, Andres Almiray <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 4:25 PM, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Compare this with the 23.4M for the whole of 2018!

I knew it! I knew it! Mr. G. has a time machine ;-)

Re: A few stats about Apache Groovy

Andres Almiray
I'd be keen in knowing more about how the groovy JARs are consumed.

We know Grails used to be "the gateway drug" for Groovy from 2005 until Gradle took over that role.Now it's say it's Jenkins, however these tools bundle Groovy in their distros thus the spike in downloads *may* not be completely attributed to them. Most of the projects I run use Groovy in one way or another, of which that are Open Source projects are built via Travis and their dependencies are cached thus there should be less hits over time if the Groovy version did not change in their settings.

go Groovy!

Java Champion; Groovy Enthusiast
http://andresalmiray.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/aalmiray
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 4:35 PM, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Roooohhhh damn... of course, I meant for the whole 2016!!!!

And here's a pretty picture:

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 4:33 PM, Andres Almiray <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 4:25 PM, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Compare this with the 23.4M for the whole of 2018!

I knew it! I knew it! Mr. G. has a time machine ;-)

Re: A few stats about Apache Groovy

That's a very good question.
I'm not sure how to really interpret those nice figures.
There are things that can clearly be explained, for example the bump in 2015 when we moved to the ASF, giving confidence in the future of the project.
But for example, what does the dent in March 2017 mean? I can't manage to correlate to any particular event, although we had the first alpha of 2.5 in addition to the release of 2.4.10.